Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Finding True Love: Helping Your Kid Choose the Right Instrument

Perfect timing to read this article on NPR.com (the comments are very informative, for once)!

The answer is, there's not just one way to know which instrument is the best. Sometimes the child "just knows". Sometimes it's stars aligning. Sometimes it's chance or logistics--can your child hold the instrument? is it satisfying or challenging to play? does your child have a sound they enjoy hearing or creating?

http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivecadence/2012/06/14/155034276/finding-true-love-helping-your-kid-choose-the-right-instrument

And from Casey McCann at Eclectic Music: http://caseymccann.com/blog/2010/1/4/choosing-an-instrument-maybe-not-that-big-a-deal.html

And MORE from NPR about practicing:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/deceptivecadence/2012/06/18/155282684/getting-kids-to-practice-music-without-tears-or-tantrums?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=classical&utm_term=music&utm_content=20140729

My story: I learned I could sing when I was 8 from my Challenge teacher, Grant Bennett. He changed my life, because ever since he told me I "sounded great" I have been a singer. It's just who I am, and he helped me see my talent. My Grammy was a singer, too, and her family didn't have a TV or radio, they had a piano and they sang in harmony every day. What a happy life!
My Grammy's stage name was "June Martin"
I tried the Band route with the saxophone and piano, but I never had the inspiration to dig in and work hard, so in 7th grade when I had to pick, I chose Chorus (and Advanced Chorus, and Madrigal, and Show Choir, and Girls Ensemble, and drama....).  I figured "I'm just not an instrument person", but now I understand I didn't know HOW to practice, and my 4 sisters were not patient with the awful honking going on, so I never really got better.

Now I play around with playing bodhran, doumbek, ukulele, autoharp, castanets, dulcimer, spoons, theremin, and lots of weird but fascinating instruments. I can play some of those things as well or better than my 5th graders, and I'm okay with that. I try, and I practice, and it's fun. Instruments are not my strong point, but I have other skills.


If your child is joining Band, Orchestra, Chorus, or AC, encourage them and help them be successful. Set up a specific time and place for them to practice each week (10-15 minutes a few times a week, even for Chorus/AC). Don't let them forget to bring their instrument home, and really give it a good effort. Teach them to respect their instrument and their efforts, and set little goals for each practice session. Most of the time when kids want to quit it's because, like me, they aren't progressing and it's not satisfying. If they work and see their progress they will enjoy playing and singing!

Music is not easy, but it's worth the effort! And it's fun to make music with friends!

"To be an artist is not the privilege of a few, but the necessity of us all." --Robert Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment